Monday, 27 June 2011

Interview with Game Designer, David Colson.

Below you will find an interview I did with my fellow Irish man, David Colson. David started off his company, Peripheral Games, pretty recently and he is an aspiring games designer. Check out what he had to say below!

Tell us a bit about yourself.

I am still in school, nearly finished though! I live in the west of Ireland
 but I am originally South African and moved here when I was seven.


What is a typical day like as a game designer?

That depends on what is being done that day, I do most of the work for our games so all the things have to be made then coded so they do something. There is one thing I do every day, dream about games that don't exist and how I could bring them to life!


Do you desingn games as a full time job?

No, it purely a hobby, it's not even a job. However, I do plan on making it a full time job when studies are finished.


How did you become a video game designer?

Well it started out about 3 years ago when I saw homebrew games on Nintendo DS and I decided I would have a look at it, I then learned about programming and how I couldn't do it, I taught myself how through the internet and things have snowballed from there ever since.


What do you enjoy most about your work as a video game designer?

Um, I think the dreaming up of games and then seeing them come to life because of the frustrating work I put into them.


What is most challenging about a video game designer job?

Writing code. Oh and working with computers, that really drive's me up the wall sometimes as they are never obliged to do what you want them to do.


What are common misconceptions that new video game designers might have?

From my experience thinking that all is simple and they are going to breeze through it. To put it bluntly, it is very difficult and not something learnt over night.


What skills are most important for a video game designer?

Well patience is number one above all things. Things will not go your way when you work with computers. Also maths is quite important especially for people wanting to get into programming.


So tell us a bit about Peripheral Games...

Peripheral Games was originally a joke made during class. I later decided it was a good idea to have a company if I were ever to make money off games so I used that name when I signed up for the game engine we use.


When did you guys set up?

Officially a couple of months ago but the idea has been around for nearly a year now. Our blog put us out into the public when it started around two months ago.


How many people are on the team?

Well there's four of us on it but I do have to say some of them don't do very much. I spend a lot more time in it than they do, but they do definitely help.


So who on the team does what?

Our artist Máire shares the artwork with me. Then we have a game tester called Máirtin who plays games quite a bit, so he is a good person to have. Also, we have Dominic who doesn't really do that much, but he came up with the name of the company and does advise me on certain things. Lastly,  I put everything together and write the code for the games.


Where would be your ideal job?

I can't think of anything better than making games, being head of a massive company like Infinity Ward one day would be nice though.


What game would you have loved to help design?

I am a great fan of the Just Cause series and have plenty of ideas for a third outing of that game, if it every comes. So with that said, I would say Just Cause 2 is the one I would have loved to have helped design.


Tell us about your previous games.

I don't have very many previous games as our company is so new. Everything previous to our current game has just been experiments and or concepts.


What have you planned for the future.

What I have planned in the future is a massive game of life. But I don't want to say more at this time.


Tell us about your most recent game.

Our most recent game, Treasure Hunt, was an idea I had because I personally love treasure hunts and I wanted a game were I could do that in side when it's raining. It only has one very small level at the moment but it is constantly expanding and I hope to have its latest update out soon with a far more complex level.


Is there anything you would like to add?

Not really apart from a thank you to Dylan for making this interview possible, and don't forget to check out our blog for far more information on our games and company!



Find David and his team over at the Peripheral Games blog. Just want to say also a big thank you to David for taking the time out for this interview, and I hope to hear a lot from you and your skills in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment