Saturday, 6 August 2011

The First Templar Review

You don’t need to be an expert to figure out that The First Templar is a pretty low budget game. But by no means should that throw you off, in fact the first templar is probably the most fun I have had with game in a while.



It is blatantly obvious that the game is trying to grab the attention of the fans of the Assassin’s Creed series but it does it with a lower budget then that of an actual Assassins game. Those who paid any bit of attention to the story in Assassins Creed you will have heard of the knights templar, and that is what this game is about.

The game starts off as you playing as a templar knight. I say templar knight because I can’t remember his name, actually I am struggling to think of one instance where we were actually told his name. Anyway, you set off on a journey with another templar to find the infamous, Holy Grail. However pretty early on in the game the story spreads off into many different sub-plots and I just got extremely confused. The only reason I can remember the fact that the game was about finding the Holy Grail is because I am just after putting down the remote five minutes ago, otherwise I would have struggled. And where I say early on the story spread off into different sub-plots I mean in literally the first 10 - 20 minutes.



The story is spread across many landscapes whilst you are on your quest including towns under siege, sandy terrains in the desert, bogs, woods and of course plenty of castles. Plenty of terrain means plenty of space to move around and explore and finding hidden chests becomes one of your pastimes while hacking enemies down with your sword and shield. Combat in the game is sadly the best part. Don’t get me wrong, the combat is decent but pretty limited. Even after filling up all upgrades along the way you still get much the same as what you started off with just more life bars.

I am not going to lie, I wasn’t expecting a lot from this game. And to a certain extent I was right to, but I did find the game fun. It’s a hard one to explain, the game overall was nothing special but quite weirdly getting totally confused with the story was kind of nice. Simply because I didn’t care. All I was interested in was taking out my sword and slicing and dicing my enemies. Although some levels in the game let me extremely disappointed when all it wanted me to do was run through a burning forest and never take out my sword and get to kill anybody once.


Not the best game in the world, but definitely one of the best games I have played recently. And for this price, that is a steal. I give it a 6.5/10. Click here to buy The First Templar!


Have you played The First Templar? If you have let me know what you thought of it in the comments! Also please comment below and let me know what you think of this review. And tweeting, emailing and book of faceyness is also appreciated. 

2 comments:

  1. what platform is this on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I played it on Xbox 360 but it is also available on PC. I don't think its been released on PS3.

    ReplyDelete