Thursday, 15 September 2011

The misconception of teenagers

In recent years in many countries around the world, especially the UK & Ireland, the youth of these countries have been getting a lot of negative press.




All I seem to see in the papers and news is all negative news about teenagers. If you went by what some of the papers and news channels told you, teenagers all run around drunk in hooded jackets wielding knives at any helpless person that passes them. This, as any teenagers (or anybody with a mind for that matter) who is reading this knows, is not true. In fact it is quiet the opposite. Even today when all the Junior Certificate results are handed out amongst schools around the country of Ireland and when students go home with ten A’s instead of being congratulated, a lot of people will simply try and put teenagers down by saying that the exams are just getting easier.

Why does everyone have to be negative to teenagers. All teenagers have a reputation now of being up to no good and just out to cause trouble. Phrases which I often hear about teenagers are:

“Old people are afraid of teenagers.”

“Teenagers are a bunch of no-good scumbags”

If you replaced the word ‘teenagers’ with the word ‘black’ or even ‘Irish’ and went around using those phrases, see how long it takes until somebody tells you to stop being an idiot and so rude. Being a teenager myself I find it very hard to deal with the common misconceptions of people my age. We are all drunks and knife carrying drug addicts apparently.

One thing which happened to me quiet recently was I was walking down the street and I over heard a woman give American tourists the wrong directions on purpose. They went on their way thinking it was the right way to be travelling so I stopped them and told them the correct directions. But, because I was a teenager they chose to believe the woman who gave them the wrong directions. Eventually they came back and apologised to me about not believing me, but that was not the point. If you discriminate against somebody‘s skin colour, it is frowned upon. If you discriminate against somebody’s religion, it is frowned upon. So why is it sociably acceptable to discriminate against teenagers?

I may be the only one who thinks this way, but maybe not. It is just a thought. What do you think about this subject? Let me know in the comments below. Just remember next time you are about to judge teenagers as a whole, we are all different...just like adults.

3 comments:

  1. I think you're right and I'm the mother of 5 (ages 14, 17, 20, 27 and 29). I have always loved being around teens and most of them have hung out at my house. I see the crazy hair, the clothes, the makeup but underneath I see great, intelligent and awesome people. Too bad not everyone can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Dee Waltz Glad you liked my post :) Not every teen is like the ones you see on the news and in the paper, so I am glad that at least one person notices! :)

    -Dylan.

    ReplyDelete