Tuesday, 20 September 2011

Where will you be in twenty years time?



“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”



Above are the words of Mark Twain. They are also in my school journal, which is where I cam across the quote. There are multiple motivational quotes in my school journal, but this one stood out to me. I got to thinking, where will I be in twenty years time and will I be happy with the direction my life has taken.

Being a student I come across a magnitude of people every single day. Some of which will go on to do amazing things with their lives and some will go on to simply do nothing with their lives, but that is of course their choice and nobody else’s. I am one of the students that wants to do something with his life. I don’t want to be sitting at home claiming the dole or in a job that pays minimum wage, I want to make something of myself.

A while back I wrote a post called ‘Two years to change my life’ this is essentially an extension to that. Over the next two years in school I will need to work hard to do what I want with my life and it is up to me. When we were kids we depended on our parents to do things for us, but they can’t help us now. We need to focus on the future, however bleak the economy may seem at this moment in time let’s just hope the jobs are there for us when we leave. I am still in two minds about what career I would like to pursue. It is a toss between Journalist or a career in programming (or something to do with computers in general). I will probably go down the programming route, which is where all the jobs seem to be cropping up, and it pays a bit better.

But I do love writing. So my mind gets confused at this stage. For now I think I will focus on computers. This is where I think my heart is, this is where I think I can succeed, this is where I would like to be in twenty years time. But will it happen, only time will tell.

Just out of curiosity, where would you like to be in twenty years? Let me know in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment