Monday, 16 January 2012

An Irish Silicon Valley

"You see things; and say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?'"
-George Bernard Shaw.


The above quote from George Bernard Shaw got me thinking the other day about entrepreneurship. For a world that is basically all in debt we need some good entrepreneurs to get us back on the go.





Since I am interested in technology and I live in Ireland, I decided to take a look at what Ireland could turn into with a little bit of innovation. One thing that popped into my mind was Silicon Valley. Ireland could easily become the Silicon Valley of Europe. It is without a doubt a great place for technology business', we have Google, Facebook, PopCap Games, Twitter are on their way and there are many, many more here already. 
Technology is the future and Ireland is getting a head-start. The only thing that we lack, is the qualified people. More and more jobs being created every single day in the technology sector, but we simply can't fill them because we are not trained. That's why I think computer programming should be put in schools as an optional subject alongside maths, history, geography and all the others. If Ireland would do this it would easily secure Ireland as the place to be for setting up a technology business.


In the current education system we are losing people that have the interest in computers because they have nowhere to express this. By your fourth year in second level education in Ireland most people are thought how to use Microsoft Word, navigate the internet and send an email. But let's be honest; kids at the ages of five and six are able to do this. The Irish education system is basically turning us into consumers and not creators, when it really should be doing the total opposite. Instead of learning how to use these amazing pieces of software we should be learning how to make them.




I know for a fact that I am not the only one who thinks this. Fellow Irishman and blogger, Tommy Collison, wrote an amazing piece on how Ireland could be the next Silicon Valley shortly after he returned from his trip to visit his brother out there. I read that article three times before even writing the first word of this one.

After coming to the conclusion however, I will not be in the education system shall programming ever become a subject which is taught at schools, what a pity. Although I won't be doing it that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see it happen. If anything it needs to happen. Ruairi Quinn, Minister for Education, get on it!

4 comments:

  1. I'm voting for YOU in the next election!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Cian haha nice to see someone agrees! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anonymous haha Cheers man! To be honest though I am not sure whether I would make a good politician, maybe a good adviser however :)

    ReplyDelete