Monday, 30 January 2012

Late Night Writing


Writers in general tend to have some pretty weird sleeping patterns. We either, do what most people do, and get up at seven or eight in the morning and then we go to sleep at around ten or eleven that night. But we also tend to stay up until the wee hours of the morning, I am referring to four and five am here, and then we wake up at noon the next day.





These are of course ridiculous hours but for some, and I include myself in this, I find the night time a lot more peaceful. Most people are asleep, aside from us writers, so you don’t have the noise of traffic outside or people screaming, you don’t have people phoning you and disturbing your trail of thought and you especially don’t have people walking in on you staring at your screen saying 
“Hey! What you working on?” this bugs me. If you want to know what I am working on, read my blog. 


I have found that I am a lot more creative at night. If I have an idea for a blog post whilst in town I quickly jot it down on a notebook. I will then come home and try to expand on it, which a lot of the time I will fail at. But, if I try and expand on it later that night I always manage to get something out of it. My recent post “An Irish Silicon Valley” is a prime example of this. I read it while in a coffee shop in town and then expanded on it at three am that night.


Maybe it’s just me or maybe it’s just writers in general, but I find night to a nicer place for us writers. It is also a nice time for gamers. The whole house is gone to sleep so now you can turn on the violent games full blast through your headphones and nobody will interrupt you. 


What do you think? Do you find it a lot easier to work at night or be more creative? Or do you work better during the day? Give me your opinion in the comment section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment