Sunday, 27 May 2012

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Review



When I first heard that Ghost Recon: Future Soldier was coming my first reaction was, “Ah Jesus, not another shooter!”. But man was I wrong. Ghost Recon: Future Solider is not just “another shooter” it is actually a shooter in which every other shooter should 'aim' to be like, (see what I did there!).



From the very beginning you are thrown into the action and you're sent off to take down some enemies. Unlike a vast majority of all the other shooters out there however, this involves using your brain and being tactical. When you crouch your camouflage activates and you instantly become invisible (think Halo 'invisable') which means you can now either sneak around checking out the area, scouting for enemies or you can throw all that aside, stand up and run straight into the action and well, die. If you run straight into the thick of things in Ghost Recon, you will die. This game is all about tactics and team work. Use your drone to fly into the air and scout out the area marking out targets for your team to take down silently and then move on through to the next area nice and easy.

Ubisoft did well with this one and it brings a more realistic feel to things. The AI, for once, isn't clunky and they act like well, soldiers. While tracking down enemies if they feel they could get in trouble going any further they will stop, wait for the rest of the team and then you all swoop in together. Don't get me wrong however, because this game is not just all about tactics, crouching down behind walls and waiting for the area to be clear and then run through. No, there is plenty of action in this game and you after some bits of action you may actually want to go back to sneaking around and being tactical.



Sensor grenades and your drone will play a vital role for you in the game, if you are to progress. You won't get very far without planning on where your enemies are and making sure that you time everything correctly otherwise you will fail the mission. The missions themselves vary, between rescuing VIPs, stealth missions or just shooting down a load of enemies vehicles from a chopper, they are all very seem-less and well put together.

Graphics wise, it's not the best. The landscapes could have been better and it shows that most of the effort was put into making the actual game-play and the four-member ghost team work very well. The graphics are not the best, but they're not terrible either. They just wont be winning any awards for that.



As for the story itself there are bits in there that tie the missions together, but overall nothing is really that memorable about it. Honestly though I don't care because the game-play was great. If I was wearing a hat, it's about now I would be taking it off to the people over at Ubisoft after the amazing job they did with this game. Ghost Recon: Future Soldier is my game of the year so far! Well worth a 8/10.

1 comment:

  1. This game is so refreshing to play and so different compared to the senseless run and gun monotony of the latter games. Although this game claims to be more tactical than it actually is, you will not be disappointed with the campaign. I’ve been reading reviews on this game for a little while and from what a co-worker of mine at Dish and other people had to say, it’s not a bad game at all so I added it to my Blockbuster@Home queue. I found out about Blockbuster@Home and decided to take advantage of the free trial so I put this game in my queue, and this kind of game is something I can't appreciate until I see and play it for myself. It’ll be in my mailbox soon and I can’t wait to start playing it myself in the comfort of my own home. From what I understand, you should play this if you loved the originals or a shooter fan.

    ReplyDelete